Saturday, September 13, 2008

Honduras~ Day 2

Our first full day here in Honduras. We started the day with a tour of a coffee bean plant. It was very interesting to see all that goes into coffee, and how often the beans are handled in the process. The coffee at the plant tasted great, the best I've had here so far. After that we headed out to a village in the mountains on a dirt road about an hour and a half away, where Suri's farm is. Suri is a local farmer, who is the most successful farmer around, making about $2000 a year. He is a part of the local church. (Suri is on the left in the picture to the right) Please pray for his 12 year old son who has blood cancer, they just found out in June and he is currently getting treatment, but it will be a very long process. The village he lives in is called San Heronimo, a very poor community, you can't even imagine the places these people call home. Cows, horses, dogs and chickens running around everywhere, homes with partial walls and no windows, cement floors, no running water or electricity or appliances. We have so much to be thankful for. We played basketball with some of the kids, which was very fun. I must admit I had a hard time between my competitive side and my sweet side. I mean when the ball gets thrown to you do you just take it and go for the goal or do you pass it on to the little guy you know isn't going to make it because the hoop is 10 times his size? Well, of course I did a little of both.;) The kids were so cute, they wanted to play with you and talk with you, once again I wish I could speak Spanish! We also visited with the people, and had coffee, they were very sweet. It was so beautiful there, green and lush. We headed back into town, and walked around and had dinner. It was a great day. It is amazing to me the joy these people have. Like Suri , who always has a huge smile on his face and is so happy. Here is man, whose son is sick, who works very hard, and according to American standards, has nothing, and yet he has the joy of the Lord. I'm reminded I need to look past my circumstances, and find my joy constantly in the Lord and in Him alone. We have so much to be thankful for. Sometimes God is good when life is good, but I'm reminded here once again that God is good all the time! Eli-Ky, Ry-Ry Scouterpants and Caderbugs I love you and miss you! I'm going to be bringing back some surprises for you!

2 comments:

Carrie Allen said...

Who cares if they have no food...make that shot! Show em what Americans are made of!

I'm kidding obviously...I know you missed that shot to let them win...you are such a servant.

Maryb said...

Praying for you Tatum as you are there. See you Friday AT bible study

Mary Brucker