Monday, September 1, 2008

4 am!!!

Well, it all started last August when Chris and I went on a backpacking trip in Idyllwild. I am a huge fan of hiking but not backpacking for the simple fear of wild animals and sleeping in a tent out in the middle of nowhere. Well, the first night I pretty much didn't sleep, I was up all night waiting to be attacked by wild animals. The next day Chris and I went hiking and ran into a couple of ranger ladies whom I asked about the bear situation and they reassured me that there are no bears in the area and that they sleep out at night under the stars with no tent! So the second night rolls around and I am feeling much better about allowing myself to sleep, so I finally at some point drift off into slumberland. Suddenly I am awoken by the sound of a distant crunching leaves and sticks and it is slowly getting closer and closer. Now mind you we are miles away from any other person or civilization. Chris awakens and tells me not to move. We both are unsure if it's some crazy man or wild beast. As it comes upon are camp site we realize it is some type of wild beast and it isn't small either. I laid there in fear for 45 minutes as this beast enjoyed our food and campsite, even at one point enjoying a short nap next to me outside my tent. I have truly never been so afraid in my whole life. I saw the headlines in my head reading "Husband and wife eaten by wild beast while backpacking, leaving behind 3 small children" When it finally left Chris reassured me that it would probably come back, so just go to sleep. No such luck, I laid there petrified for hours waiting for the first sign of light so we could pack up and go. Sure enough hours later, I hear the same crunching sound of leaves and sticks off in the distance as it grows closer once again. The same frightening scene for another 30 min. I was so sick to my stomach. Upon returning home and now even a year later I still have that same fear run through my body when I hear the sound of crunching leaves at night. So as it goes our house backs up to the wilderness and I am often awoken by "the sound". I lay in bed in fear and eventually drift off. Well, the other night I had enough, I was awoken at 4am by "the sound", I lay there in fear wondering is some crazy man in my back yard or is it a wild beast. I decided no more am I going to live in fear, I am conquering this one. Knowing that it would be of no use to wake up Chris (he would tell me to go down and check it out and let him know what it was) I make my way down the stairs to discover what was down in my back yard. I slowly go down the stpes and round the corner, I see a dark shadow and it looks big, but I was determined, I figured I could scream if I needed back up. I slowly approach the back door, flip the light on and this is what I discover...
A RACCOON! A cute raccoon, inside our dog crate eating the food. All that for a raccoon! I am so excited I run and wake up Chris to come see my cute discovery and he says no he would rather sleep. So I go back down and decide to try and trap it in the crate, so I can show the fam in the morning. Needless to say I wasn't successful at raccoon trapping, but I think I was successful in overcoming my fear of "the sound"! And that is good enough for me!

No comments: